Thursday, March 25, 2010

What Happened to the Glass Jar?

I had an hour to kill while Dah Mama was getting her hair done. A craving that had only been lurking in the back of my mind suddenly burst through as a full-blown thought: I WANTED CHEESE WHIZ!!!!
I don't usually go to grocery stores--germs, you know--but I headed directly to the Safeway(keeping safely within all posted speed limits). I learned two things today from being in a real grocery store and not doing shopping online. First, anything marked organic is going to be twice as expensive and twice as ugly and second, Cheese Whiz doesn't come in cute little jars anymore.

Okay--I can live without the jars. But the amazement to find out that Cheese Whiz comes in flavors! I could get aerosol Cheese Whiz in American, cheddar, sharp cheddar and English(whatever that is) flavors! Life is good. And all the cans still had those wonderful words stamped under the lid--No Need To Refrigerate. What a world!

Back to beauty shop, yank mother from hairdresser's chair, fly back home(observing all posted speed limits, keeping the required distance from the vehicle in front of me, and moving to the left if I even thought I saw flashing lights on the road shoulder), plop mother in front of TV and sort out the mess from her trying to figure out the two remote controls required to watch the tube, snap off one shot of blooming iris, and home to eat Cheese Whiz.
I was about to toss back my 7th Whiz 'n cracker when Mr. T calls from office, "Say, how about we go out to dinner tonight?"

Timing is everything. Oh well, I can always ask for a doggy bag for food that must be refrigerated and have plenty of room to finish off the canned stuff before bed.

No comments: